Have You Tasted Waknatoy (or the Amazing Menudo of Marikina)?
According to some stories, the name "Waknatoy" can be attributed to Chinese immigrants living in Marikina. This particular recipe for "Marikina Menudo" was so popular and widespread that these immigrants started protesting against it by saying "Ito na naman? Wak na 'toy!" and so the Marikina Menudo named Waknatoy was born.
1 slab of pork belly, cubed and pressure cooked until tender1 can of vienna sausages or 2 sausages, cubed1 carrot, peeled and cubed1 potato, peeled and cubed2 (green and red) bell peppers, cored and julienned1 large onion, chopped2 cloves garlic, finely minced1 bay leaf1/3 cup of sweet pickle relish1 can of liver spreada small pouch of tomato saucea pinch of dried oregano2 tbsp. cooking oil1/2 cup of watersalt and pepper
- Heat oil in a pan until hot. Sauté garlic and onion until tender.
- Add cooked pork, sausage, carrots and potatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, pickle relish, oregano and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add water and bring to a boil. Cook until potatoes and carrots are tender and add liver spread. Mix well.
- Garnish with bell peppers and serve.